I have a voice
I have been pondering the events from the last week quite a bit. And I started this blog shortly there after and haven't been able to get back to it until now to post it. 5 kids, trying to sell a house, lots to do, nuf said....
If there is one thing I have learned about the news in regards to the controversy that affects 'religion' as of late is that I as a woman have the right to speak my mind and speak my heart. So I have decided to do just that on my blog.
For those who know me well, I am not one to ruffle feathers or to offer my opinion when things get controversial only because I feel that doing so only brings the wrong spirit. I pray that what I do have to say will not do that. I speak not to say I am right and others are wrong. I am speaking because it is a passionate subject in which I feel I have the right to express my opinion like many others feel they should be able to and have done. I will admit I have read many blogs. Some reprimanding a woman who stood for something she felt was right and believed in. And others that were upset by those who did reprimand her. And I found things in each one that I agreed and disagreed with. I am not here to change someone's mind about how they feel because we are all individuals. But when it is something that I feel so strongly about, I can't sit back and keep my mouth shut.
In my religion "The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints" we are all entitled to personal revelation for ourselves. However, only the prophet and his counselors and 12 apostles together have the the keys and authority to receive revelation given on behalf of the Church as a whole. If we do not agree with something someone from the church teaches (no matter who is teaching it) we are entitled to seek for the answers ourselves. We have the ability to kneel in prayer and ask our Heavenly Father for guidance concerning the matter. (whatever it may be)
The fact is, not just one, but several women feel a sense of inequality as members in the church. To be more precise between the Priesthood authority given to men and that the women's service in the church is governed by that Priesthood authority. Women in the church are not ordained to actively "hold" the Priesthood in the areas of baptizing, or administering the Sacrament or serving in callings specifically for the those that "hold" the Priesthood keys within those offices. But it is those offices that sustain us and set us apart to serve in positions within the church that are just as significant and important.
I LOVE theatre and if it is one thing I learned from my life of acting and performing is that there are no such thing as small parts, (although there are small parts.) The entire play would not be the same without the judge who is seen once only to offer the verdict. Although he is only seen once, he is probably one of the most significant characters to deliver a turning point within the play. (no play in particular just trying to make a point)
In reality. Nothing was created equal. Men and women were not in reality created "equal." I don't have a penis. Forgive me for being so blunt. But it's true. Am I hurt that I don't? No. Likewise, my husband will NEVER feel the movement of a unborn child against his own abdomen. Is that fair? The truth is we all are different, we are all individuals who feel strongly about different ideas and facts. Are we entitled to those feelings? ABSOLUTELY!!! But we are not cookie cutter people with all the same body parts, ideas, thoughts and desires. My point with this is, that although we are technically not 'equal' in all things we are equal in "purpose". Meaning we are ALL loved by our Heavenly Father and our Savior Jesus Christ. Our roles and "mission" in this life may be different in some areas but our goal "should" be the same and that is to return to live with them again.
In the events that led up to the disciplinary council held on behalf of Kate Kelly is something I personally can't judge. I don't know her, I don't know her Bishop or other leaders that felt they had the make the decision they did. NOR would I want the responsibility that was put upon their shoulders. Are the men in the church (especially those called and sustained by the order of the Priesthood) faultless? NO...we all make mistakes but they do have a mantel in which they are given to receive revelation on behalf of members within their wards/boundaries. Do they like having to make those decisions? Speaking from a wife of a former Bishopric member. I can say that NO they do not like being in that position but do the best they can with their imperfect selves. I have seen grown men cry because of the heartache they feel while making these decisions. (even though I don't know the situations or who they involve). They are NOT easy. So can I judge Kate Kelly? No. Can I judge the men put in the position to make such a decision? NO! The only person who can judge the true situation is our Savior Jesus Christ.
I have a friend who is struggling with this issue and on her blog she stated that now "not even Jesus Christ is enough to bind her to her family forever." I am not trying to call her out. Nor change her mind about how she feels. I respect her a lot. and I really mean that. If she reads this she will know I am referring to her and I want her to know I am not trying to attack her in anyway. But my heart just hurts that someone would feel that way. All I can say is really? Do you really believe that? Jesus Christ will be the one to judge Kate's thoughts, her intents and her heart. Just because she has lost her membership (for now) a decision made by her local leader does NOT mean that Christ's death and His resurrection is exempt to her. And if that local leader did in fact make the wrong decision on her behalf. Do we not believe that Christ would make it right in the end? I would think so! So although I support the decision that was made regarding her situation does not mean I think she 'deserved' what was coming to her or to say they were right and she was wrong. I am simply stating that her Bishop and other local leaders are given a calling (which they are not paid for, for those who don't know) and they are entrusted to carefully pray and make a decision about her situation as a whole. I do believe her Bishop and other local leaders are called of God to make that decision and are called to act as a "judge" in that particular situation. I am sure many times they wanted to run away screaming WHY? WHY!? do I have to be the one chosen to deal with this? I am sure many tears were shed while they prayerfully made a decision. And then on top of that it being so publicized and having so many opinions and trying to focus on the Lord's will vs. the influence of what the world is saying. Tough decision.
So it is not my place nor anyone else's place to decide who was right and who was wrong. All I know is that Christ is the one to judge and if a mistake was made (because after all we are all human). I know that Jesus Christ would and will make it right in the end. Those who are not members of my faith also still have that promise and the blessings of the Atonement of Jesus Christ in their lives. Granted there are sacred ordinances that do in fact need to be performed by the Priesthood authority given to those He has chosen to do so, such as Baptism and temple covenants, but Heavenly Father and our Savior love us all and want us all to have the same blessings that we can receive through the Priesthood.
Jesus Christ is the head of this church. We sustain those called as the Prophet and apostles. I am sure Kate Kelly at some point sustained them. If she truly does sustain them and believe they are called of God, then I believe she would have respected them when they say that they do not have the power or jurisdiction to ordain women to the Priesthood. Elder Dallin H. Oaks said this in the last General Conference." Ultimately, all keys of the priesthood are held by the Lord Jesus Christ, whose priesthood it is. He is the one who determines what keys are delegated to mortals and how those keys will be used."
We do not have to sustain them if we think they are leading us astray. WE have the ability to pray and know for ourselves if they are truly men of God. I truly believe they are men of God. I also believe with all of my heart that they are saddened deeply by all that has transpired. I do not believe they are vindictive, power hungry individuals seeking to silence women in any way shape or form. I also do not think they are doing this to put fear in the hearts of women to feel they need to stand down and not speak up. I am confident they would want us to speak up. I sustain them wholeheartedly. I sustain the prophet President Thomas S. Monson and his counselors and the 12 apostles. There are a group of them called for a reason. Are they apt to make mistakes? Yes, they are human just like the rest of us. That is why they work together and things are done on a majority vote. Do we actually think they all agree on everything when in meetings? I would doubt not. They are in reality just "men" BUT they are called of God and given the authority and power of God to perform His work here on this earth today! I do not believe that God would allow any of them to lead us astray even in their imperfectness.
Righteous men and women "fall" everyday. We cannot judge the hearts or the intents of ANY of these people. Kate Kelly, her followers, or the First Presidency and Twelve Apostles. ONLY Christ can do that. And he will. But all we can do as people, human beings, members and non members alike is to follow our hearts and do as we feel is right for us on our journey through mortality. Jesus Christ will make right the ways of His Church according to His plan of happiness.
I do believe God knows all. I do know opposition is put in our lives so that we can grow, learn and find happiness. I do know that God has a plan and he has given us commandments and that it is our responsibility to obey those commandments both 'ancient' and those that are continually revealed today through his apostles and prophets. I know as we continue to strive to do the best we know how He (our Savior and Redeemer) will make up the difference in the end.
Let the Savior judge the world and the decisions and hearts and minds and desires of men. Let us step back, reflect on ourselves and what we can do to change and keep the commandments God has given us rather than worry about the thoughts, desires, and intents of others. But seek charity as Christ taught us and focus on ourselves on what we can do better to be closer to our Heavenly Father and Savior.
If there is one thing I have learned about the news in regards to the controversy that affects 'religion' as of late is that I as a woman have the right to speak my mind and speak my heart. So I have decided to do just that on my blog.
For those who know me well, I am not one to ruffle feathers or to offer my opinion when things get controversial only because I feel that doing so only brings the wrong spirit. I pray that what I do have to say will not do that. I speak not to say I am right and others are wrong. I am speaking because it is a passionate subject in which I feel I have the right to express my opinion like many others feel they should be able to and have done. I will admit I have read many blogs. Some reprimanding a woman who stood for something she felt was right and believed in. And others that were upset by those who did reprimand her. And I found things in each one that I agreed and disagreed with. I am not here to change someone's mind about how they feel because we are all individuals. But when it is something that I feel so strongly about, I can't sit back and keep my mouth shut.
In my religion "The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints" we are all entitled to personal revelation for ourselves. However, only the prophet and his counselors and 12 apostles together have the the keys and authority to receive revelation given on behalf of the Church as a whole. If we do not agree with something someone from the church teaches (no matter who is teaching it) we are entitled to seek for the answers ourselves. We have the ability to kneel in prayer and ask our Heavenly Father for guidance concerning the matter. (whatever it may be)
The fact is, not just one, but several women feel a sense of inequality as members in the church. To be more precise between the Priesthood authority given to men and that the women's service in the church is governed by that Priesthood authority. Women in the church are not ordained to actively "hold" the Priesthood in the areas of baptizing, or administering the Sacrament or serving in callings specifically for the those that "hold" the Priesthood keys within those offices. But it is those offices that sustain us and set us apart to serve in positions within the church that are just as significant and important.
I LOVE theatre and if it is one thing I learned from my life of acting and performing is that there are no such thing as small parts, (although there are small parts.) The entire play would not be the same without the judge who is seen once only to offer the verdict. Although he is only seen once, he is probably one of the most significant characters to deliver a turning point within the play. (no play in particular just trying to make a point)
In reality. Nothing was created equal. Men and women were not in reality created "equal." I don't have a penis. Forgive me for being so blunt. But it's true. Am I hurt that I don't? No. Likewise, my husband will NEVER feel the movement of a unborn child against his own abdomen. Is that fair? The truth is we all are different, we are all individuals who feel strongly about different ideas and facts. Are we entitled to those feelings? ABSOLUTELY!!! But we are not cookie cutter people with all the same body parts, ideas, thoughts and desires. My point with this is, that although we are technically not 'equal' in all things we are equal in "purpose". Meaning we are ALL loved by our Heavenly Father and our Savior Jesus Christ. Our roles and "mission" in this life may be different in some areas but our goal "should" be the same and that is to return to live with them again.
In the events that led up to the disciplinary council held on behalf of Kate Kelly is something I personally can't judge. I don't know her, I don't know her Bishop or other leaders that felt they had the make the decision they did. NOR would I want the responsibility that was put upon their shoulders. Are the men in the church (especially those called and sustained by the order of the Priesthood) faultless? NO...we all make mistakes but they do have a mantel in which they are given to receive revelation on behalf of members within their wards/boundaries. Do they like having to make those decisions? Speaking from a wife of a former Bishopric member. I can say that NO they do not like being in that position but do the best they can with their imperfect selves. I have seen grown men cry because of the heartache they feel while making these decisions. (even though I don't know the situations or who they involve). They are NOT easy. So can I judge Kate Kelly? No. Can I judge the men put in the position to make such a decision? NO! The only person who can judge the true situation is our Savior Jesus Christ.
I have a friend who is struggling with this issue and on her blog she stated that now "not even Jesus Christ is enough to bind her to her family forever." I am not trying to call her out. Nor change her mind about how she feels. I respect her a lot. and I really mean that. If she reads this she will know I am referring to her and I want her to know I am not trying to attack her in anyway. But my heart just hurts that someone would feel that way. All I can say is really? Do you really believe that? Jesus Christ will be the one to judge Kate's thoughts, her intents and her heart. Just because she has lost her membership (for now) a decision made by her local leader does NOT mean that Christ's death and His resurrection is exempt to her. And if that local leader did in fact make the wrong decision on her behalf. Do we not believe that Christ would make it right in the end? I would think so! So although I support the decision that was made regarding her situation does not mean I think she 'deserved' what was coming to her or to say they were right and she was wrong. I am simply stating that her Bishop and other local leaders are given a calling (which they are not paid for, for those who don't know) and they are entrusted to carefully pray and make a decision about her situation as a whole. I do believe her Bishop and other local leaders are called of God to make that decision and are called to act as a "judge" in that particular situation. I am sure many times they wanted to run away screaming WHY? WHY!? do I have to be the one chosen to deal with this? I am sure many tears were shed while they prayerfully made a decision. And then on top of that it being so publicized and having so many opinions and trying to focus on the Lord's will vs. the influence of what the world is saying. Tough decision.
So it is not my place nor anyone else's place to decide who was right and who was wrong. All I know is that Christ is the one to judge and if a mistake was made (because after all we are all human). I know that Jesus Christ would and will make it right in the end. Those who are not members of my faith also still have that promise and the blessings of the Atonement of Jesus Christ in their lives. Granted there are sacred ordinances that do in fact need to be performed by the Priesthood authority given to those He has chosen to do so, such as Baptism and temple covenants, but Heavenly Father and our Savior love us all and want us all to have the same blessings that we can receive through the Priesthood.
Jesus Christ is the head of this church. We sustain those called as the Prophet and apostles. I am sure Kate Kelly at some point sustained them. If she truly does sustain them and believe they are called of God, then I believe she would have respected them when they say that they do not have the power or jurisdiction to ordain women to the Priesthood. Elder Dallin H. Oaks said this in the last General Conference." Ultimately, all keys of the priesthood are held by the Lord Jesus Christ, whose priesthood it is. He is the one who determines what keys are delegated to mortals and how those keys will be used."
We do not have to sustain them if we think they are leading us astray. WE have the ability to pray and know for ourselves if they are truly men of God. I truly believe they are men of God. I also believe with all of my heart that they are saddened deeply by all that has transpired. I do not believe they are vindictive, power hungry individuals seeking to silence women in any way shape or form. I also do not think they are doing this to put fear in the hearts of women to feel they need to stand down and not speak up. I am confident they would want us to speak up. I sustain them wholeheartedly. I sustain the prophet President Thomas S. Monson and his counselors and the 12 apostles. There are a group of them called for a reason. Are they apt to make mistakes? Yes, they are human just like the rest of us. That is why they work together and things are done on a majority vote. Do we actually think they all agree on everything when in meetings? I would doubt not. They are in reality just "men" BUT they are called of God and given the authority and power of God to perform His work here on this earth today! I do not believe that God would allow any of them to lead us astray even in their imperfectness.
Righteous men and women "fall" everyday. We cannot judge the hearts or the intents of ANY of these people. Kate Kelly, her followers, or the First Presidency and Twelve Apostles. ONLY Christ can do that. And he will. But all we can do as people, human beings, members and non members alike is to follow our hearts and do as we feel is right for us on our journey through mortality. Jesus Christ will make right the ways of His Church according to His plan of happiness.
I do believe God knows all. I do know opposition is put in our lives so that we can grow, learn and find happiness. I do know that God has a plan and he has given us commandments and that it is our responsibility to obey those commandments both 'ancient' and those that are continually revealed today through his apostles and prophets. I know as we continue to strive to do the best we know how He (our Savior and Redeemer) will make up the difference in the end.
Let the Savior judge the world and the decisions and hearts and minds and desires of men. Let us step back, reflect on ourselves and what we can do to change and keep the commandments God has given us rather than worry about the thoughts, desires, and intents of others. But seek charity as Christ taught us and focus on ourselves on what we can do better to be closer to our Heavenly Father and Savior.