March Madness update and product review

So far our challenge of wheat free has been so far successful. I am surprised by how much you just don't need wheat. There are so many other things that make you "feel" like you are eating wheat but in reality you are not.  Here are some things I found that we like (some of us anyway) that taste great and make us think we are eating wheat but in reality we are not. Just for the record we are not going entirely gluten - free. But here are somethings we have discovered that are AWESOME!

Cereals...I have a new found LOVE for Chex...and not only that they are completely gluten -free (for the exception of Wheat Chex which we are of course not eating.


Noah LOVES Apple Jacks but it has wheat...I saw these and he LOVES them...I LOVE the  Chocolate Chex. I am convinced Kate would LOVE them if she would just try them. 

Tortilla chips...


YUP...need I say more

Our new find...That I was pleasantly surprised my kids loved (well exception of Kate) it's like eating popcorn. (although I don't like popcorn) but I love these.





They have several different flavors but these are our favorites so far. I love the tomato basil. The kids love the cheddar the most. They also have BBQ, Ranch,  Chipotle Cheddar, Chili...I love them so I want try them all...

One thing I have noticed in this adventure is that is isn't controlling my urge to eat more. LOL...I am just finding new things to be happy eating. Some are better than eating wheat, some are not. You can eat more of these rice cakes for less calories and less fat than potato chips (but many potato chips we could still eat). 
Chex cereals have less sugar in them than say Fruit loops or Apple Jacks but they still have sugar 8 g vs. 12g   in other cereals. But there are still some cereals that are wheat free that are high in sugar...namely Trix, Fruity Pebbles..etc..

So there are advantages to eating less wheat but I just want to make it clear that it is still important to watch fat and sugar content and calorie content. But tortilla chips they are just as unhealthy as some other things. LOL...

But so far we are seeing less headaches BUT...I have had a strong impression to make my kids drink more water and take a water bottle to school. I was watching Biggest Loser (love that show) love the tips they give. But one thing they said was that 80% of kids at school are not drinking enough water. So I bought them all a 24 oz water bottle and told them they need to drink the entire thing before coming home. They have! (well exception of Kate I told her to drink half) since she is half day. But I think water consumption will help with headaches...when we introduce wheat back into our diet next month we will see if it was a huge factor. That being said, we don't plan on eating as much wheat as we were. 

The kids do get wheat when they are at school (snacks, birthdays etc) or when Noah has Scouts and they have a treat or Natali at Activity Days. It happens we are not that anal to the point that our kids have to worry about it all the time. We told them if they go somewhere and we can't help them NOT eat it then to not worry about it. Not worth the headache. LOL But I can control what I eat when I go somewhere if that makes sense.  That is an update on our Wheatless journey this month





Popular posts from this blog

Gods Hands

CONTEST!