My weight loss tricks

Lessons I learned from weight loss...this is how I did it for me...but everyone is different and has to find what works for them. I believe weight loss is possible but it does require commitment and self control. Which we all hate.

1. Count calories - as obnoxious as it is... but if you know how many calories are in each thing you are eating it changes how you think about what it is you are eating. I used www.myfitnesspal.com. It is simple to use and has everything known to man in it. It makes you realize what you are eating and helps calculate calories to lose. This is 90% where success is going to come is from portion/calorie control. It IS hard at first but then it becomes addicting (especially if you use the myfitnesspal app on your phone (if you have access)
2. You can't NOT eat. If you are exercising it is crucial that you do eat GOOD calories to compensate.
3. Losing weight fast is an illusion...Don't fool yourself...realize it takes time and it isn't a fast fix. It took me a full year to lose 30 lbs. People who are heavier can lose faster at a safe rate. I have a dear friend Jill who has successfully lost 70 lbs in a years time. But she is still working hard at it and she can testify it takes time. You can follow her blog here Jill's amazing weight loss journey. She is an inspiration...plus she is funny and keeps it real...LOVE her!
4. Don't cut out anything completely. In other words. Cutting out all sugar isn't going to solve your issues. It just makes you resent weight loss. This is a journey of changing things permanently for the better. It isn't a temporary thing. This is a life change. So my personal opinion is cutting out all sugars or sodas or whatever it is you struggle with is only hurting not helping. Cutting back though is CRUCIAL. If you are an avid soda drinker (which I am not) I think it is okay to say I will have a 12 oz of soda a day and that's it. Or 2 sodas a week. But don't cut out completely things you love. Allow yourself to go out but choose wisely and calculate things ahead of time. You can do a chef salad for lunch and an orange and one piece of toast for breakfast to compensate for date night. It's all about balance...(see Jill's blog about balance) it really is crucial to balance food, exercise and stress, life you name it.
5. Don't expect to be perfect at it all at once. It is a learning experience if you go over calories one day either throw in some exercise or just move on and do better the next day or both. Not worth getting upset over
6. Exercise doing something you like to do, not something you feel you have to do. For me it was walking and dancing. I have dance videos.  I hate hate hate treadmills, elliptical's. I hate doing them. I also love swimming but with 5 kids and having to work out with 2 or all of them after they are in bed doing an exercise video or walking with them is better for me. (even though I would LOVE to be able to join a gym).
7. Realize if you gain a lb or two or even a few it WILL come back off. Refocus and resume. Don't EVER give up. If you do...the weight has won.
8. For women (since I am one) expect to gain at least 1-2 lbs with your menstrual cycle and probably again 2 weeks later with ovulation. So in other words...like I said, if you see a gain it will most likely come off the next week. And if you maintain during those weeks count that as a blessing! The fact is when you are past those you usually see a good 2 -3 lb weight loss (IF you are keeping up with your "plan")
9. Make a work out schedule and keep to it. I walked 3 days a week and did an exercise video once a week. That is all I could physically handle. Most of my friends can do more high impact cardiovascular work out and if you can... DO IT!
10. Eat things high in fiber and high in protein. Oatmeal is a GREAT weight loss tool. And you can use it in breads, meatloaf, etc...eggs are great as well as Quinoa which is much like rice (and really yummy) Find new foods that are good for you and that you like.
11.  Create or have a good support team: As with life we can't do it alone. It is always more fun and more help to have someone doing it with us. Find a friend or spouse to do it with. Don't do it alone. Support is crucial to help with accountability. Nathan and I did it together. We continue to support each other as we continue our lifestyle change. We also have great friends Jill & Cami are two who have been by my side helping me to name a couple. My husband's friend Ben has kept him going too. Find more than one person to help motivate just in case someone drops the ball.


I LOVE food...this is what I found that I love the most that is good and healthy and yummy

I love red beans and rice. Beans are a great source of protein along with chicken. I love to season everything with red onion, colored bell peppers (orange, yellow, red and sometimes green). GARLIC...I LOVE LOVE LOVE garlic! Fresh basil and parsley...Italian flat leaf parsley is a stronger flavor and you might prefer the more mild parsley that is curly. Cilantro. I have found great recipes on Pintrest or All Recipes. Weight watcher recipes are also awesome. I was given a book Best loved recipes (that is weight watchers) it has awesome recipes. I am willing to share.

This are my secrets...I will admit I am not as diligent on myfitnesspal any more. But my user name is babyruth33 if you want to friend me I will be there to help encourage and support.