Happy Father's Day! Daddy!

So I have recently been having a lot of dreams about my Dad.  I am not sure if it is his way of not letting me forget him this Father's Day or what. I can't say the dreams I have had have been pleasant either. Many of them express characteristics that simply were NOT the father I knew and quite disturbed me actually. All I can say is I would wake up and be so thankful it was just a dream and then even now I wonder what made my mind even think those things anyway...trust me one was just awful! 
But I love my Dad and he was a great man. Not perfect but wonderful nonetheless. So I wanted to spotlight him this Father's Day...in memories of him. What I remember about my father. Just so you know this may or may not have been correct but in my mind this is what I remember about him.

1. His favorite color was green. I really am not 100% sure on that but I know he liked green. And he liked wearing green. 
2. His favorite foods: You know, I am not sure I can say for sure what his absolute favorite food was. He liked burgers with just cheese and onions and mayo, he loved meatloaf and made a lasting impression on my husband with his mini personal meatloaf. LOL ... BUT...I will always remember him for meat pies. When I came up to Utah to help my sister clean, pack her house to move her and my mother. I remember having a conversation with my sister about these meat pies. I actually MISS those meat pies.  You can't find them in Nevada and the factory that makes them is based in Utah...so it might just be a Utah thing. So we were going to have some for old times sake while I was up there. BUT I was in the middle of my weight loss journey and so when I saw the calories packed into just ONE meat pie. I just couldn't do it. I might now. LOL...But I can't eat "just one" I have to have two and with brown gravy (the kind you make from the package LOL) and ketchup. (I actually might hate them now though...my tastes have changed dramatically) But that is how my dad ate them and so did I.  I will always remember him for those meat pies. I don't think there was ever a time we didn't have some of them in the freezer for "back up".  
Along the lines of food though, he would always ask for Prime Rib. Not sure if he really LOVED it that much or if in his mind it was one of the most expensive things to ask for so he would ask for that. 
I also remember him liking taco's in the big taco shell bowls. I think that is a Utah thing as well. 
3. His career: I remember him most for trying hard to be a entrepreneur, a salesman, and a politician. He was a devout republican. He owned more businesses than I could probably name.  I distinctly remember the jewelry store he owned while we lived in Nebraska. I can't remember the name but something "Press On" I think.  It was his most successful business. He pierced ears for a living. I also remember him travelling a lot selling jewelry for a Sears company. The name of it escapes me now too but I have a lot of those necklaces he use to sell.  He started up a business called JJ consultants after moving to Utah when my niece Ashley was diagnosed with Cystic Fibrosis so we packed up and moved to be closer to my brother and his family. That business was a creation he made of a small (phone book) like magazine with businesses just in West Jordan. I think he ended up selling it to the city but that is all a bit cloudy.
He LOVED politics. I couldn't stand watching all the debates and political issues on T.V. with him. I can't tell you how many doors I have knocked and flyers I have given out when he ran for office. It was a lot! he never won but I have to give him credit and kudos for always running and keeping his head held high.
He was a veteran. The one story I remember him telling me and will always remember is how during a war (please don't ask me which one. I have NO idea) they were called to go to war. And he was the only member of the church in his "division" or "group" why can't I remember what they call their group. Anyway...just before getting on the plane they asked him to say a prayer for them. He did so and shortly before getting on the plane before taking off they were instructed they no longer needed to go. I can't remember if it was the end of the war or what but nonetheless he never went. 
He served a lot of his time in Germany and always told people that was his "mission" since he never served a "full time" mission but rather served in the military. 
He is the oldest of three. I actually learned a LOT about my Dad at his funeral from my sister that I had NEVER known before. I couldn't repeat any of it without thinking I got it all wrong so let's just say he had a hard childhood.
I always remembered him for singing "You are my sunshine" He would sing it at the top of his lungs. 
I also remember when he was the ward clerk. Back when they made them sit up on the stand on the other side of the podium from the sacrament table and take notes. YUP! That was a long time ago.  The hymns I remember him liking were "Let us All Press On" and "I Need Thee Every Hour" It was a few months before he passed away that I remember him telling me he liked those songs but his favorite song really was "I Know That My Redeemer Lives" 
He was also famous for embarrassing us in restaurants. When the waiter/waitress would ask us what he would like to drink he would always say something like Vodka or Gin. We lived in Utah so many restaurants would not even offer such a thing so they would look at him like he was from another planet.(which was his desired result, along with making his family squirm) but it backfired on him when we went out to dinner after Nathan and I got married here in Vegas when the reply he got was "Okay" as the waiter started writing it down. He then quickly said, "NO, I was just kidding" Nonetheless that is my dad for you.
Two more things and I will spare you the rest.... 
So when Nathan and I were set up. Our friend Eden told me that Nathan would call to set the date up officially. I ran to the store and he called while I was out. So later I found out that when he did call that my Dad told him he couldn't talk to me unless he paid him a quarter. Yup that is my Dad for you. What is ironic about the whole thing is that I wasn't even home FOR him to talk to me. I don't think Nathan knew if he was serious or not. LOL...but what do you expect he didn't even know me yet. 
The other thing my Father said, When Nathan asked him if I could marry him is he said "NO!" I bet that surprised him! He frankly went on to say that no one would ever be good enough for me, and then consented...Good thing since he is the best thing that happened to me.  

Dear Dad, 
You were one of a kind. I loved you for it and still do! Memories of you will never fade so please stop haunting my dreams! I miss you A LOT!  Thanks for being such a wonderful Father. 



Popular posts from this blog

Gods Hands

CONTEST!