Just to post...year round vs. nine month
So I have been MIA for a while on the blog. I really have wanted to blog about Natali's birthday our trip to SL for my niece Devin's wedding as well as the Zoo etc...but for the life of me I can't figure out how to load the pictures on the computer. I have never had a problem until now...goodness. One day I'll figure it out but until lets pass the time going over why I loathe year round school and why I am sooo ecstatic that our kids will be going nine month next year (or so we hope) there is still a chance it will stay year round.
So why I hate ( I know hate is a harsh word...but oh how I HATE) year round.
#1. It is completely inconsistent learning for my children. They are at school for 6 weeks then off for 3 weeks. On for 4 then a holiday. Then on for 10 weeks (if you are lucky) then off for three then on for 2 then off for 2 (you get the picture) The week before they leave the teachers don't bother giving homework (and why should they anyway?...I wouldn't in their shoes) the last couple of days before break they can't start a new unit so they do mindless stuff like watch a movie (that may or may not relate with what they just studied) and then they might do a party or fun day the next day. Then when they come back from break they spend the first week reviewing what they learned before track break (because they forgot) now granted they can forget things over summer break too on a 9 month schedule, but teachers spend the first week (on a 9 month) reviewing last years materials from day 1 to the end of the year rather than the constantly doing it on year round. Granted they are learning and the teachers are great (so far from my experience). I just feel these "good" teachers have no other choice to make the year round thing "work" and I haven't met one teacher who likes year round school.
#2 (maybe this is just a Vegas issue) but with all the budget cuts that have to be made EVERY year. To run an air conditioner during the summer here is LUDICROUS! Imagine all the money we will save with that three month break during the HOTTEST months of the year here if we just were able to turn off the air conditioner in the building for at least half the day everyday. Plus the cost of electricity during those months, and maintence...etc... Plus...no offense I dread my kids playing at recess in that weather and worry if they are drinking enough water (and usually they are NOT) and I have no control over it while they are at school. I drives me INSANE thinking they may come home with heat exhaustion (and then I HAVE to deal with and here the complaints.) PLUS....I don't like trucking around a pre-schooler and infant in that weather to go and pick my children up from school. It is just TOO HOT! Then again I will take the hot summers over snow in the winter. LOL! but I would like to keep to the indoor activities July-September here.
#3 Well, really there isn't a three this is just other mindless stuff that in restrospect doesnt' matter. I like to vacation in the summer and it makes it easier to enroll the kids in swimming lessons rather than having to juggle, piano lessons, soccer practice and swimming lessons in the afternoons while they are still in school. And what is it anyway with ending school on Aug. 4 and then back in school 2-3 weeks later. Good grief at least give them a full month!
Okay rant over....I am greatful because it does appear that we will go 9 month next year. All I can say is PRAYERS do get answered!!!
So why I hate ( I know hate is a harsh word...but oh how I HATE) year round.
#1. It is completely inconsistent learning for my children. They are at school for 6 weeks then off for 3 weeks. On for 4 then a holiday. Then on for 10 weeks (if you are lucky) then off for three then on for 2 then off for 2 (you get the picture) The week before they leave the teachers don't bother giving homework (and why should they anyway?...I wouldn't in their shoes) the last couple of days before break they can't start a new unit so they do mindless stuff like watch a movie (that may or may not relate with what they just studied) and then they might do a party or fun day the next day. Then when they come back from break they spend the first week reviewing what they learned before track break (because they forgot) now granted they can forget things over summer break too on a 9 month schedule, but teachers spend the first week (on a 9 month) reviewing last years materials from day 1 to the end of the year rather than the constantly doing it on year round. Granted they are learning and the teachers are great (so far from my experience). I just feel these "good" teachers have no other choice to make the year round thing "work" and I haven't met one teacher who likes year round school.
#2 (maybe this is just a Vegas issue) but with all the budget cuts that have to be made EVERY year. To run an air conditioner during the summer here is LUDICROUS! Imagine all the money we will save with that three month break during the HOTTEST months of the year here if we just were able to turn off the air conditioner in the building for at least half the day everyday. Plus the cost of electricity during those months, and maintence...etc... Plus...no offense I dread my kids playing at recess in that weather and worry if they are drinking enough water (and usually they are NOT) and I have no control over it while they are at school. I drives me INSANE thinking they may come home with heat exhaustion (and then I HAVE to deal with and here the complaints.) PLUS....I don't like trucking around a pre-schooler and infant in that weather to go and pick my children up from school. It is just TOO HOT! Then again I will take the hot summers over snow in the winter. LOL! but I would like to keep to the indoor activities July-September here.
#3 Well, really there isn't a three this is just other mindless stuff that in restrospect doesnt' matter. I like to vacation in the summer and it makes it easier to enroll the kids in swimming lessons rather than having to juggle, piano lessons, soccer practice and swimming lessons in the afternoons while they are still in school. And what is it anyway with ending school on Aug. 4 and then back in school 2-3 weeks later. Good grief at least give them a full month!
Okay rant over....I am greatful because it does appear that we will go 9 month next year. All I can say is PRAYERS do get answered!!!