First Date
It was the end of September when my good friend Eden calls me up and asks me if I would be willing to go out with her friend Nate...My response was the guy your Mom wanted you to marry that is on a mission with the strange middle name? "YEP, although he is back from his mission and is coming to Salt Lake for his first mission reunion next week."
(background) I lived with Eden for 5 weeks while doing my teaching practicum before I moved to Salt Lake to do my student teaching. While living there with her she received a card from Nathan wishing her a Happy Birthday (this was in March of 2000 just before moving to SL to do my student teaching) well she went off about how her birthday is in April and he just can never remember the right month (hey at least he remembered right?). LOL so anyway...she continues to tell me that her Mom wants her to marry him and that she is too old for him but he is a nice guy and yattah yattah yattah, mentions his middle name and that was the end of "Nate" until September of the same year... So she wants me to go out with him... well 1. He lives in Vegas 2. I had just been set up on the most "awful" blind date....3. I had now been home from my mission for 2 years sigh...I was hesitant to say the least. But I trusted Eden a lot more than the person who had previously set me up with the blind date "nightmare" and so since it was just a weekend and he was from Vegas I agreed. I figured a free dinner...why not...
So it was the Eve of Friday October 6th when I was off galavanting around a store with my sister and I returned home to my Dad announcing a "boy" had called for me and continued to harass me about it. I asked who and he proceeded to tell me a boy named Nathan. At that point I remembered he was suppose to call and he had left his cell phone number and I proceeded nervously to call him back. He at the time was at his mission reunion and we quickly set a date the following night. Now if you know me he already he had two strikes against him. 1. He was from Vegas (and I did NOT like Vegas) 2. He was younger than me (that was evident). Now I am pretty adamant about having a man who is dedicated to the church and to his "priesthood" and he was now going out with me rather than going to the Priesthood session of conference. (3 strikes) My Dad tried to reassure me that it was fine and that he did have to go home Sunday to Vegas and just to enjoy the date and not get so worked up. (I do that) so I decided I would just enjoy the evening.
So Saturday came as my sister and I and my Dad all waited impatiently for Nathan to show up.
(what does he look like?, will he be as cool as Eden made him out to be?, Oh please make the date better than the one two weeks ago? were all the thoughts flooding my mind.) As we see a white Ford Ranger pull in front of the house. As we all try not to let him see us peaking through the window...
There is a knock on the door and I am nervous but I open the door to three more strikes. 1. He is shorter than me 2. He is BLONDE and 3. He has blue eyes. I was always for the tall, dark hair, dark eyes...but we are off...He opens the door for me and I sit in his truck and my nerves settled..Whew! So he takes me to the Mayan Restaurant and honestly we both agree know it was not the best place for a blind date it was WAY noisy. But we enjoyed the food nonetheless and the men in speedo's (LOL!) We then went to go bowling at the Fun Dome if we did bowl it wasn't very long and I think I remember their were leagues playing that night, nonetheless he decided to see if we could find "This is the Place Monument" to get in his spiritual portion for the night since he was missing the Priesthood session of conference. So we start driving where we think it is but we can't find it and keep driving and driving and talking and driving, and driving and the next thing we know we have traveled up the canyon into another county (can't remember what county now) but we turn around at this point it is dark and we are headed back and he suggested to go to Baskin Robbins for ice cream. Sometime along this drive he tells me a joke and I totally didn't think it was a joke and really thought he was serious and yet thought..."why is he telling me this?" but later in our relationship he confessed it was a joke and I looked "stupid" LOL! After ice cream and more talking it was time to head back and I was sorely disappointed. We had a good time even though we really did "nothing"....to be continued.....
(background) I lived with Eden for 5 weeks while doing my teaching practicum before I moved to Salt Lake to do my student teaching. While living there with her she received a card from Nathan wishing her a Happy Birthday (this was in March of 2000 just before moving to SL to do my student teaching) well she went off about how her birthday is in April and he just can never remember the right month (hey at least he remembered right?). LOL so anyway...she continues to tell me that her Mom wants her to marry him and that she is too old for him but he is a nice guy and yattah yattah yattah, mentions his middle name and that was the end of "Nate" until September of the same year... So she wants me to go out with him... well 1. He lives in Vegas 2. I had just been set up on the most "awful" blind date....3. I had now been home from my mission for 2 years sigh...I was hesitant to say the least. But I trusted Eden a lot more than the person who had previously set me up with the blind date "nightmare" and so since it was just a weekend and he was from Vegas I agreed. I figured a free dinner...why not...
So it was the Eve of Friday October 6th when I was off galavanting around a store with my sister and I returned home to my Dad announcing a "boy" had called for me and continued to harass me about it. I asked who and he proceeded to tell me a boy named Nathan. At that point I remembered he was suppose to call and he had left his cell phone number and I proceeded nervously to call him back. He at the time was at his mission reunion and we quickly set a date the following night. Now if you know me he already he had two strikes against him. 1. He was from Vegas (and I did NOT like Vegas) 2. He was younger than me (that was evident). Now I am pretty adamant about having a man who is dedicated to the church and to his "priesthood" and he was now going out with me rather than going to the Priesthood session of conference. (3 strikes) My Dad tried to reassure me that it was fine and that he did have to go home Sunday to Vegas and just to enjoy the date and not get so worked up. (I do that) so I decided I would just enjoy the evening.
So Saturday came as my sister and I and my Dad all waited impatiently for Nathan to show up.
(what does he look like?, will he be as cool as Eden made him out to be?, Oh please make the date better than the one two weeks ago? were all the thoughts flooding my mind.) As we see a white Ford Ranger pull in front of the house. As we all try not to let him see us peaking through the window...
There is a knock on the door and I am nervous but I open the door to three more strikes. 1. He is shorter than me 2. He is BLONDE and 3. He has blue eyes. I was always for the tall, dark hair, dark eyes...but we are off...He opens the door for me and I sit in his truck and my nerves settled..Whew! So he takes me to the Mayan Restaurant and honestly we both agree know it was not the best place for a blind date it was WAY noisy. But we enjoyed the food nonetheless and the men in speedo's (LOL!) We then went to go bowling at the Fun Dome if we did bowl it wasn't very long and I think I remember their were leagues playing that night, nonetheless he decided to see if we could find "This is the Place Monument" to get in his spiritual portion for the night since he was missing the Priesthood session of conference. So we start driving where we think it is but we can't find it and keep driving and driving and talking and driving, and driving and the next thing we know we have traveled up the canyon into another county (can't remember what county now) but we turn around at this point it is dark and we are headed back and he suggested to go to Baskin Robbins for ice cream. Sometime along this drive he tells me a joke and I totally didn't think it was a joke and really thought he was serious and yet thought..."why is he telling me this?" but later in our relationship he confessed it was a joke and I looked "stupid" LOL! After ice cream and more talking it was time to head back and I was sorely disappointed. We had a good time even though we really did "nothing"....to be continued.....