Research - Uggh!
As you all know I am taking a class for Special Education. I have to research three issues in an inclusive classroom that are a real problem today. And then pick one and theorize on it and give supports that would make my theory work to fix the problem. Coming up with topics that I have seen and heard other teachers complain about is easy but finding research information on them and supports to help the problems is another story.
1. Lack of parent involvement in IEP meeting (Individualized Education Plan)
2. Lack of general education teachers involvement in IEP meetings
3. Lack of funding for the Special Education in inclusive classrooms
4. Lack of special education training for the general classroom teachers
5. Lack of instructional adaptations for all students in an inclusive classroom
6. Time issues regarding students needing more time on tests
7. Collaboration issues within an inclusive classroom setting
8. Principals and teachers feeling that students with special needs not be allowed anything better than a D in an inclusive classroom setting
So see I can think of many problems but can't find anything on any of them. Sigh...
I really like the lack of General Education teachers involvement in IEP meetings particularly on a High School level - Why you ask because I dealt with this when I was teaching. I was the ONLY teacher willing to go to a particular students IEP meeting. I was the Drama teacher! Don't you think that they need someone in there that deals with the more core classroom curriculum? Math, English, Science? I think so but not one of his teachers were willing so I was always asked to attend his IEP meetings because it is required by law to have at least one general education teacher at the IEP team meeting.
Now I know none of you could really care less about all this, but I am pretty passionate about special education and the students' getting the help they need. But good grief it is impossible to find solutions or information on these problems. She won't settle for just MY experiences either and on my opinions on how to solve the problems. Hmmmph! Well...now that I got that all out....back to more research...
Thanks for getting this far if you did.
1. Lack of parent involvement in IEP meeting (Individualized Education Plan)
2. Lack of general education teachers involvement in IEP meetings
3. Lack of funding for the Special Education in inclusive classrooms
4. Lack of special education training for the general classroom teachers
5. Lack of instructional adaptations for all students in an inclusive classroom
6. Time issues regarding students needing more time on tests
7. Collaboration issues within an inclusive classroom setting
8. Principals and teachers feeling that students with special needs not be allowed anything better than a D in an inclusive classroom setting
So see I can think of many problems but can't find anything on any of them. Sigh...
I really like the lack of General Education teachers involvement in IEP meetings particularly on a High School level - Why you ask because I dealt with this when I was teaching. I was the ONLY teacher willing to go to a particular students IEP meeting. I was the Drama teacher! Don't you think that they need someone in there that deals with the more core classroom curriculum? Math, English, Science? I think so but not one of his teachers were willing so I was always asked to attend his IEP meetings because it is required by law to have at least one general education teacher at the IEP team meeting.
Now I know none of you could really care less about all this, but I am pretty passionate about special education and the students' getting the help they need. But good grief it is impossible to find solutions or information on these problems. She won't settle for just MY experiences either and on my opinions on how to solve the problems. Hmmmph! Well...now that I got that all out....back to more research...
Thanks for getting this far if you did.