Women's Conference
So I almost didn't go tonight. It has been a rough week and I didn't want to socialize or what not but I realized that that was more a reason to go. Plus Nathan came home and kicked me out anyway. J/K. Any way so I am sure you have had those moments where you say to yourself this was ALL for me, no one else, just me! Yeah, I am sure others needed to hear it too but I just loved Sister Beck and Elder Uchtdorf's talks. And what I heard that I needed to hear may be completely different for others hearing the same words. But for me they were exactly what I needed to hear and was so uplifting and positive. It got me out of my "dumps" attitude and got me thinking of what I can do to take my mind off of my own issues and exercise my faith, change the way I do some things and do a little bit more than what I am doing. Now both of the talks were vastly different but it all applied to me in some way right NOW!
I won't go into details about how I felt except that I was reminded tonight of how much the Lord does love me and how much I need to focus on increasing my faith, and serving others. (even if all I can do right now is serve my husband and my kids) there is a lot I can do right in my own home. I absolutely love my calling as Compassionate Service Leader and have felt a little guilty that my assistant/s and the Relief Society President have been doing the bulk of it lately out of their concern for me. Which I have really appreciated. But I was reminded by Sister Thompson & Elder Uchtdorf tonight that there are times to serve and times to be served and personally I would rather be the one serving (but I am sure everyone feels that way) but nonetheless my health is temporarily out of balance and it isn't going to be forever before they find a medication that works and I will be good as new and back to serving in my calling full time.
I have recognized tonight with Sister Beck's talk that I need to focus on strengthening my family and right now this is where I can serve and should be serving full time all the time. When I get down in the dumps it kind of goes by the way side and I get snappy and forget what is really important. Not that my calling isn't important because it is, but my husband and children are a full time calling and I felt like tonight after hearing Sister Beck's and Elder Uchtdorf's talks that there is a lot more that I can do and although I am trying hard to be a good Wife and Mom, I realize I can increase my offering (as Sister Beck put it) so I know she was talking about building the Lord's kingdom and usually I would think when someone says building the Lord's kingdom as in missionary work and service (which YES, we can think of it that way) but tonight I realized some of the best missionary work and service I will do in this life will be within my family. So I am going to work on spending more valuable time serving them and "increasing my offering" to my husband and my children. To not just let it be the same everyday but continually finding new ways and being "creative" (as Elder Uchtdorf put it) in serving my family and of course my friends and neighbors will be in that equation too. But with most principles we have to take baby steps so for now I really want to focus on my husband and children and work outward as well continue the inward work. Because that is God's greatest happiness is His family. And it is also mine. And I need to stop being so....um...centered on my "issues" although they are important to resolve. I think finding creative ways to serve my family and use compassion I won't be so focused on the "problems and frustrations" of the things I am not completely in control of right now. I hope that made sense.
So if you have any creative ideas on how to serve and love family. Some fun activities for children ages 1-5. I want your ideas. Things that are fun and inexpensive besides just going to the park or playing Candy Land and play dough. As well as things creative to serve my husband. He works sooo blasted hard for this family I have to think of something creative for him too.
Tonight was much needed and the fire under the butt that I really really needed. I loved Elder Uchtdorf's statement
That is exactly what I plan to do. And if I don't blog about it I will forget about it. So I thought if I blog it and let everyone know my thoughts then it will keep in the forefront of my mind to continue to make it a goal.
One last comment during the rest hymn after Sister Becks talk I was truly touched by the hymn that we hear a lot. "Lord I will Follow Thee." The one thing that jumped out at me was "When I walk imperfectly" it just reminded me that I don't need to be perfect while following the Savior as long as I am doing my best and continuing to improve and better myself spiritually. I was also overwhelmed almost to tears when we sang "Now Let Us Rejoice" I felt the spirit burn...and really felt that strength that comes with being a member of the Church and saying. YES! this is SOOO true. It is so powerful in song and testimony and I understand why we refer to the Gift of the Holy Ghost as baptism by fire. It really is like fire spreading. But of course in a great way!
The Church is true. It burns within us as we live it and there are many things we can do to improve our relationship with our Heavenly Father and Savior as we continue to find ways to increase our faith, strengthen our families and serve diligently and willingly.
I won't go into details about how I felt except that I was reminded tonight of how much the Lord does love me and how much I need to focus on increasing my faith, and serving others. (even if all I can do right now is serve my husband and my kids) there is a lot I can do right in my own home. I absolutely love my calling as Compassionate Service Leader and have felt a little guilty that my assistant/s and the Relief Society President have been doing the bulk of it lately out of their concern for me. Which I have really appreciated. But I was reminded by Sister Thompson & Elder Uchtdorf tonight that there are times to serve and times to be served and personally I would rather be the one serving (but I am sure everyone feels that way) but nonetheless my health is temporarily out of balance and it isn't going to be forever before they find a medication that works and I will be good as new and back to serving in my calling full time.
I have recognized tonight with Sister Beck's talk that I need to focus on strengthening my family and right now this is where I can serve and should be serving full time all the time. When I get down in the dumps it kind of goes by the way side and I get snappy and forget what is really important. Not that my calling isn't important because it is, but my husband and children are a full time calling and I felt like tonight after hearing Sister Beck's and Elder Uchtdorf's talks that there is a lot more that I can do and although I am trying hard to be a good Wife and Mom, I realize I can increase my offering (as Sister Beck put it) so I know she was talking about building the Lord's kingdom and usually I would think when someone says building the Lord's kingdom as in missionary work and service (which YES, we can think of it that way) but tonight I realized some of the best missionary work and service I will do in this life will be within my family. So I am going to work on spending more valuable time serving them and "increasing my offering" to my husband and my children. To not just let it be the same everyday but continually finding new ways and being "creative" (as Elder Uchtdorf put it) in serving my family and of course my friends and neighbors will be in that equation too. But with most principles we have to take baby steps so for now I really want to focus on my husband and children and work outward as well continue the inward work. Because that is God's greatest happiness is His family. And it is also mine. And I need to stop being so....um...centered on my "issues" although they are important to resolve. I think finding creative ways to serve my family and use compassion I won't be so focused on the "problems and frustrations" of the things I am not completely in control of right now. I hope that made sense.
So if you have any creative ideas on how to serve and love family. Some fun activities for children ages 1-5. I want your ideas. Things that are fun and inexpensive besides just going to the park or playing Candy Land and play dough. As well as things creative to serve my husband. He works sooo blasted hard for this family I have to think of something creative for him too.
Tonight was much needed and the fire under the butt that I really really needed. I loved Elder Uchtdorf's statement
That is exactly what I plan to do. And if I don't blog about it I will forget about it. So I thought if I blog it and let everyone know my thoughts then it will keep in the forefront of my mind to continue to make it a goal.
One last comment during the rest hymn after Sister Becks talk I was truly touched by the hymn that we hear a lot. "Lord I will Follow Thee." The one thing that jumped out at me was "When I walk imperfectly" it just reminded me that I don't need to be perfect while following the Savior as long as I am doing my best and continuing to improve and better myself spiritually. I was also overwhelmed almost to tears when we sang "Now Let Us Rejoice" I felt the spirit burn...and really felt that strength that comes with being a member of the Church and saying. YES! this is SOOO true. It is so powerful in song and testimony and I understand why we refer to the Gift of the Holy Ghost as baptism by fire. It really is like fire spreading. But of course in a great way!
The Church is true. It burns within us as we live it and there are many things we can do to improve our relationship with our Heavenly Father and Savior as we continue to find ways to increase our faith, strengthen our families and serve diligently and willingly.
