Our Sunday
I found out last night my Sister Janalea also talked in Sacrament meeting and she mentioned she posted her talk on her blog. I had never thought of doing that but since she did I thought hmmm...why not... so for those who care and for those who didn't hear it in person here is my talk. (This is obviously not exactly how it went, but this is what I had written down prior. I didn't want to just read from a piece of paper but I added a few thoughts as they came to me and probably omitted some things that were on there as well.)
Why are we members of Christ’s true church?
What drives us to do the things that we do in His church. We attend church for 3 hours every week and for some of us we scramble to deal with screaming and/or irreverent children at our sides, we pay tithing, fast for 2 meals willingly and humbly once a month, pray, read scriptures, organize family home evening every week, for some serve 18 months or 2 years teaching the gospel, or serve in time consuming and demanding callings expecting nothing in return. Just think of responsibilities and the weight upon the shoulders of our say our Bishop, RS President, Stake President and especially that of the our Prophet Thomas S. Monson, his counselors and the twelve apostles) And then think of all the other callings we all hold within the church some demanding of time and some not so demanding but important nonetheless.
As members of the church we are often called upon to do many things that require sacrifice and service. Why do we do it? Why were we baptized? What makes us keep coming back over and over and over again and serving daily when sometimes it seems so much easier to just let it go by the wayside and do what we want to do when we want to do it? I mean seriously what drives us to continue to do these things not just once a week but daily when it could be so much easier to just NOT!
L. Tom Perry said,
“When we think of eternal life, what is the picture that comes to mind? I believe that if we could create in our minds a clear and true picture of eternal life, we would start behaving differently. We would not be prodded to do many things involved with enduring to the end, like doing our home teaching or visiting teaching, attending our meetings, going to the temple, living moral lives, saying our prayers, or reading our scriptures. We would want to do all of these things and more because we realize they will prepare us to go somewhere we yearn to go.”
We are all striving to define and create in our minds that true picture of eternal life, motivating us to exercise our faith in keeping the commandments to the best of our abilities.
In 1 Timothy 6: 12 it states: “Fight the good fight of faith, lay hold upon eternal life!”
So if we fight the good fight with faith we will gain eternal life!
President Gordon B. Hinkley put it this way…
“Faith is the very fiber that gives strength to this great work. Whereever this Church is established across this broad world, it is evident. It is not limited to one country or one nation or one language or one people. It is found everywhere. We are people of faith. We walk by faith. We move forward on our eternal journey, one step at a time. In doing so we reach toward the unknown, but faith lights the way. If we cultivate that faith, we shall never walk in darkness.”
“Faith is the basis of testimony. Faith underlies loyalty to the Church. Faith represents sacrifice, gladly given in moving forward the work of the Lord.” “This precious and marvelous gift of faith, this gift from God our Eternal Father is still the strength of the work and the quiet vibrancy of its message. Faith underlies it all. Faith is the substance of it all. Whether it be going into the mission field, living the Word of Wisdom, paying ones tithing, it is all the same. It is faith within us that is evidenced in ALL we do.”
I think back about a year ago now when I was first called to be the Compassionate Service leader. The call itself was a faith promoting experience I think not only for myself but also for Bishop Lainhart. Not trying to put you on the spot or anything but I had just undergone heart surgery in June and although I would have loved to say my recovery was going great it just was not moving as fast as I would have liked and it made my calling as Primary chorister very difficult. I felt sick to my stomach with the thought of asking to be released but after much prayer I made an appointment to speak with the Bishop. My biggest fear was that he would feel that I was not capable of any calling and I had a desire to serve in some capacity whatever that may be. But I knew I needed to at least explain my feelings to the Bishop and let him council with Heavenly Father on the matter and leave it in the Lord’s hands.
The time we met I explained how I was feeling when he immediately asked me if I was still willing to serve. My heart leap with joy and I told him of course in any way I could. He sat for what seemed like a minute or two when he proceeded to tell me that I had been inspired to come in to see him because my name had been submitted just that day for another calling. After about another moment or two (I gather he was praying although I really am not sure if it was that or he was just over clempt) but he extended the calling to me as Compassionate Service leader. I must admit my first thought was WHAT? And then peace just overcame me and I KNEW that the Lord would see me through this calling…I have had the opportunity to serve many times and walked away feeling healed from my own trials I had been facing. It strengthened my faith in many ways and not only healed me emotionally but also physically and I feel it continues to this day. Those blessings alone drive me to serve in my calling diligently.
I am reminded of a quote I heard on my mission. The author is unknown.
Obedience is the Price
Faith is the Power
Love is the Motive
The Spirit is the Key
Christ is the Reason
We have discussed how Love for our Savior is the motive or drive that builds and strengthens our Faith to become that Power behind everything that we do. That then leads us to Obedience. And as we obey the Holy Ghost testifies to our heart the truthfulness of the gospel.
That in turn counter balances our faith and testimony and drives us continually into action in serving the Lord and keeping His commandments. We have all exercised our faith and most of us if not all here have exercised that faith unto Baptism. Where we made commitment at baptism to keep his commandments
As we continue to exercise our faith into action we receive such a wonderful blessing of having the Holy Ghost as a constant companion to reaffirm our faith, strengthen our testimony and bring us closer to that ultimate goal we so desire of Eternal life and exaltation.
That brings me back to the original question.
Why are we members of Christ’s true church?
Because we have a deep love for our Savior and faith that this is His church and that He restored it in these latter-days by the power and authority of His priesthood power. That he leads and guides us by his Spirit and strengthens our faith as we serve righteously.
In closing I would like to share with you a scripture that has become my life long goal. It is found in Galations 2: 20. This is Paul preaching to the Gentiles in
I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but aChrist bliveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the cfaith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.
I have a testimony of the gospel and that of faith, obedience and that if we continue to have faith and act upon the things which he has instructed of us that we will be blessed with his spirit.
I don't have Nathan's talk (as he just outlines it and then goes from there) but he talked about how we have reason to rejoice and he shared stories from the scriptures of prophets that endured trials, (Job and Nephi, Mormon and Moroni, as well as Joseph Smith and the early pioneers) he explained that we have reasons to rejoice even in our trials as they strengthen us in faith. He closed with the hymn "Come Come Ye Saints"


